Banana Allergy

Banana Allergy

A banana allergy is a reaction to the proteins present in banana after consumption. The allergic reactions take place after the banana is eaten or sometimes after coming in contact with the fresh fruit, and the reactions can be mild or life-threatening.

These reactions can occur in adults as well as children, and if anyone who notices any adverse reactions

after eating bananas should consult a doctor at once!

BANANA allergy has been linked to the latex allergy, thus people who are allergic to banana must  stay away from latex products like balloons.

The protein in the rubber tree from which latex is gotten is responsible for the allergy. These proteins are similar to the proteins found in bananas.

The cause of banana allergies is due to the chitinase, a form of protein, and the body’s inability to break down this protein leads to allergies. It triggers the immune system which produced Immunoglobin E which are antibodies to allergens. This, in turn, produces histamine which acts on several body parts like lungs, nose mouth, and skin.

Another cause of banana allergies is Pollen. If you are allergic to birch pollen you probably should stay away from bananas.

 Also, in infants whose immune system is not properly developed, are likely to have banana allergies if the consume bananas through their mother via breastfeeding.

Some symptomsof banana allergies include nausea, vomiting, itching of the skin, mouth, eyes and throat , abdominal cramps, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose, difficulty in swallowing and breathing.

Anaphylactic shock is another form of rare banana allergy symptom. This  is life –threatening and can lead to low pulse rate, low blood pressure, as well as loss of consciousness.

Kindly consult your doctor if you or your child have any of these reactions after eating bananas, and avoid future consumption of banana and latex related products.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *